Friday, July 31, 2009

At Home in North Carolina!

We have made it safely to North Carolina (and we finally have the Internet again!) and are starting to feel settled in. We are really loving it here already! Some of our favorite things so far: the BBQ (James loves the ribs and I love the pulled pork sandwiches), how green and beautiful everything is, Southern hospitality (it's a real thing!), our new friends from our awesome ward, and getting ready to start school. Some things we are getting used to: the humidity (I use about half a can of hairspray to keep my hair from eating people, and even Hannah's hair curls up and fros out as soon as we step outside!) and the BUGS! James has hung the fly swatter from the door hinge and has killed many spiders, flying creatures, and even a lizard that have somehow made their way into the house! Anyway, we are missing everyone in Utah but think this will be a great home for a couple years.

To catch up, we survived the four day, 30-something hour drive out here. Hannah did amazingly well: she entertained herself, took great naps, and did a little complaining about the last 45 minutes of each day. Mom and Dad were lifesavers to drive the Honda out for us. It was nice for James, Hannah, and I to be able to ride together for the whole trip. We made a couple stops along the way, basically when Hannah needed to eat, but also made the time to visit our friends Kristin and Isaac in Denver, see the arch in St. Louis, and find some really great BBQ in Kansas City. We arrived in Durham to meet our moving van and immediately got all our stuff moved in. Our timing was perfect! Here are some photos of the trip:

Visiting Kris, Isaac, Jake, and James
We are going to have to watch out for Hannah--she loves to hold little boys' hands!James and Isaac are so much alike (except in looks!) that it's almost scary!

Playing on a hay bale in Kansas

Amazing BBQ in Kansas City (I really love taking pictures of food!) The Gateway to the West: The St. Louis Arch
Our new townhome in Durham:
The pond that gives the community its name:
As soon as we set Hannah down in North Carolina, this is what she did:
And now she is pulling herself up to stand on EVERYTHING! As soon as she touches the ground, she is crawling to find something to stand on, whether it's a chair, the dishwasher, or Mommy's legs! Once she's up, she loves to smack things.
This is also why Hannah is no longer a good napper. I lay her down for a nap and then just stands up and won't sleep--what do I do?!!!
James' parents came to visit us a couple days after we got here. We had a great time touring Duke campus, including the beautiful gardens and the famous Cameron Indoor basketball stadium (which is the size of a high school gym!), and visiting the ocean at Carolina Beach (near Wilmington).

James was so excited to be able to go inside the stadium! Best of all, Coach K is speaking to his class on Monday! Do you think the motivation behind choosing Duke was more than just their MBA program?!
We got caught in a 15-minute DOWNPOUR while we were at the Duke Gardens. Thankfully, we found a gazebo to wait out the quick storm, and afterward, the gardens were empty and the flowers were as beautiful as ever.
We had a blast at the beach. Hannah wasn't so sure that she liked the waves but really enjoyed the sand and warm water when we sat where the water would just cover her legs.

12 comments:

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

So fun to see your new home and town! Having you visit was such a teaser. Now we miss you even more! Can't wait to see you again. Maybe I will have to talk Isaac into Duke, although you may be gone by the time we get there.....hmmmm.
How is school going? Has it started yet?
Love ya tons!

TravandNat said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you made it safely! What fun! I hope that everything goes well for you, and you enjoy your new adventures. We wish you all the best in everything!!

PS..I have found that unfortunately, the only thing to do when your baby stands instead of naps, is let them cry it out. Good Luck!!!

Carrie said...

Glad you made it safely! Best of luck there - I'm sure you will love it. And good luck getting Hannah to nap :( That is no fun! Miss you!

Chelsea said...

Melis I'm glad you made it safely!! Man we are just going through the same thing aren't we- It makes it better knowing you are along with me! your place looks amazing and looks like there is just tons of stuff to do. I wanna come visit. Lets catch up on the phone soon! Good luck to both of you with school
Love ya

Nicole said...

So happy you made your journey safely. We miss you here and hope to see you over the holidays. Hannah will be walking in no time...watch out! :)

Olivia Wallace said...

Hey James, Brianne is in the middle of a move herself but she told me to tell you that if you call the front office they will spray your place anytime you want. She called them often. Don't feel to bad Texas is the same way. I have a colony of geckos on my front porch. So fun to see NC again in your pic. It will make Bri homesick. Sis. Wallace

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

happy to hear you made it safely to NC! Your new place looks great! hannah is so big! I can't believe she is already standing up to everything! Wish we could have seen you when we go to Utah next week. But I guess I get to see you in a few months. Now that you are are in NC, you'll have to have some Cheerwine and SunDrop sodas for us, they were Tom's favorites from his mission. When we went to Great Smokey mountains, we bought two packs of each to bring home with us.

Melanie said...

So fun to see your new place and all that you have already been able to do. And you have already had visitors...wow, how fun! Can't wait to see more pics of Hannah and your new life in NC.

Tiffany said...

I miss you guys so much!! Tell Hannah we still love her and miss her very much. It was so fun to skype with you guys last night!! Glad you are all settled in!

Brianne & Jarod said...

Glad to see that you have settled in the new place :) We really loved living there, and you will LOVE the LDS neighbors that should be returning soon from their summer internships!! We lived in 703 so give it a big hello if you walk by it :) I know that you will just love love love the ward, we sure do miss everyone! Oh, and you might try blacking out Hannah's room...it made a world of difference with Ike!

Paul and Rachel said...

Cry cry cry. I am the most emotional person these days. I am so happy to see you guys made the long drive and everything went well. I hope you love love love it there. Good luck to James and good luck to you in school and LOVES to Hannah!!

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

This is Isaac. It looks beautiful there. We really had a blast seeing you guys on your way out. I look forward to attending Duke through the eyes of your blog over the next two years. Love you guys.