Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back to Work

So yesterday was my first day back to work. Needless to say, I was incredibly sad to be away from my daughter for 13 whole hours. We are so fortunate that James is working from home, so when I work, he will watch her for a little while in the morning. Then either my mom or James' mom will watch her for the rest of the day so James can get some work done. Monday night, in anticipation of my first day back, I cried a lot, James was secretly excited to hang out with Hannah all morning, and Hannah didn't know what was going to hit her!

Other than missing my girl, I had a good day at work. I was afraid I'd be like a new nurse all over again, but everything came back pretty quickly. Hannah did well with James and Grandma Winder. She ate a little from her bottle, but gave up by 4:00 and decided to just wait it out till I got home. Luckily she had some of her new favorite activities to keep her entertained. First of all, she thinks the knuckles on her pointer fingers are about the tastiest things ever.

Here she is chowing on her finger:
She sucks so hard that you can hear her all over the house--the damage shows on her red little fingers!
Lately, she's been really into kicking--she lays on the ground and kicks so fast that I even think it might get her somewhere! Here she is combining two of her favorite activities--kicking and chewing:
All her hard work really shows on her socks, which now have little balls covering worn-out heels!
She also loves sitting in her Bumbo chair and just watching everything that is going on.

So she stayed entertained for most of the day. When I got home, she gave me a little smile and then yelled at me for a minute until I started feeding her! Luckily we were able to spend all day together today. Here's a happy baby and an even happier mom:

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh Melissa, I know just how you feel! It is AWFUL going back to work! I miss my baby so much when I am gone. --Hannah is so darling :) I love the worn out socks!

TravandNat said...

I too know the pain of leaving the baby and going back to work..it's so hard! I hope things start to get easier for you! Hannah's growing so quickly! She's beautiful..you look great, too!

Tara said...

Wow! She is getting so stinkin' cute! I'm sorry that you have to spend so much time away from your little sweetie. I may be joining the ranks soon as well as a working momma and I know it'll be so hard!

Tiffany said...

Glad you had a good day back at work!! That pic of her in that chair is sooo cute!

Brittani said...

i remember the days of waiting it out for mommy... those will be back for me soon!

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

I bet it was hard. Hannah is really cute though. I love the pics of her sucking her finger. It made me laugh. She looked so grown up sitting in her bumbo chair! Can't wait to see her next week!

Katie said...

Oh, I dread the day when I go back to work. I haven't been working for this whole past year and it has been nice to be home with Preston. However,I start back in two months. I am hoping I can survive for just one day a week, both at work and missing Preston. I'm sure it's harder on us than the kids. Hope you enjoy work and your time with Hannah. She is darling and you look amazing!

Nicole said...

The time away will make you love her even more! She is so dang cute and getting big so fast!

Brianne & Jarod said...

James,

your daughter looks just like a Winder! How adorable!! I am VERY excited for you guys to go to DUKE and hope to stay in touch via blogs & facebook to relive some of our glory moments of those days!!

Lisa said...

Hannah could quite possibly be one of the cutest babies ever. And believe me I would know, I am around of a lot of them! I love the picture in her purple chair!

We are glad to have you back :)