Sunday, September 13, 2009

Happy Camper

In order to get season tickets to Duke basketball games (and essentially the ONLY way for grad students to get tickets to Duke/UNC games), graduate students have to literally camp out for 38 hours! So, James and 11 of his friends rented 2 U-Hauls and joined a couple thousand other graduate students for "Campout" starting Friday night. The students packed into two parking lots (those with RVs and U-Hauls) and a big field (those with tents). A bullhorn would announce check-ins at random times, which ranged from minutes to hours apart and went all through the night. If they made it to all the check-ins, then their names went into a lottery in which about 1/3 of those students get season tickets. Luckily, James got an "exemption notice" from the bishop, so he was able to come home at midnight on Saturday night instead of 9:00 am on Sunday. It was actually a lot of fun for him, and Hannah and I spent a couple hours at campout on Saturday and really enjoyed it. We had a BBQ with friends and got to meet a lot of James' classmates.

And best of all, JAMES WON TICKETS!!! 4 of the 12 guys in their group won tickets, so they will divide them up amongst the group, but being a winner gives James the privilege of attending the Duke vs. UNC games (they are some of the biggest rivals in collegiate basketball!). Now you'll have to watch James courtside with his shirt off and his chest painted blue while Coach K leads the Dukies onto victory!

The U-Haul lot
Tentville
James survived another check inBBQing at the U-Haul (don't you love Hannah's new ride!)

10 comments:

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

congrats James!!! That is pretty sweet! Wish we could enjoy the games with you!

TravandNat said...

What fun memories! I'm glad he got tickets! Enjoy the games!!!

Linda said...

wow! what dedication!

Tiffany said...

That is crazy! So glad he got tickets!! That is super exciting. We will be looking for James on the courtside! Miss you guys! Love ya and check out my blog. I have a post about you guys.

Brianne & Jarod said...

I am now officially homesick for North Carolina! I loved that weekend. Jarod went to the DUKE vs. UNC game all 3 years we were there...there is just nothing like basketball in Cameron Indoor with the crazies!

Melanie said...

I am so glad James got tickets. And he gets to go the the Duke/UNC game...exciting!!! I know that game will be televised here...we'll definitely look for James on our tube!

Jill said...

That looks like a blast! Even better that James got tickets. I love hearing how things are going for you guys. Hannah is already looking more grown up! Take care.

Chelsea said...

Oh I will be looking for him- HOw exciting!!! Looks like you guys are having a ton of fun- Hannah is so big and darling. Are you going to be home for Christmas?? I don't have to work Thanksgiving or Christmas this year (miracle of miracles..) so we will have to play when we are home!!

Kathie and Walt said...

James is amazing! The pictures of all the tents are incredible. I'll be looking for him now that I'm a HUGE Duke basketball fan. Hey, Melissa -- this blog is a pain. I can't post a picture and THEN write something and then post another picture? I had to go in and do a new post everytime I wanted to write something new about the same subject. Help!

Kaedi said...

So glad you're documenting the exciting things here! We've been so bad about it. In fact, maybe I'll just copy and paste yours and then change the "got tickets" to "didn't get ticktes" and "won't be attending the UNC/Duke game."

P.S. Thanks for being such a voice of reason when I had no clinical judgement (and nearly forgot where the ER was) the other day. You will be a wonderful PNP! :)