Saturday, September 5, 2009

Busy!

Things have been very busy lately! To update everyone, James took finals last week for his month-long summer courses! I thought maybe he'd have a little more free time this past week, but his schedule has been just as packed as ever! Along with tons of pre-assignments and readings for his classes that start Tuesday, he's also had a career day, club day, group activities, and so on. Fortunately, he's really enjoying himself, and we've made time to meet on campus or have a few extra hours together each night.

I've now made it through two weeks of my nurse practitioner program, and I love it! So my nerdiness has not gone away in the three and a half years I've been out of school! I've found I can get most of my homework done while Hannah naps and sleeps (so we can still enjoy Mommy/Hannah activities and playing with friends!). And my classes are really interesting! There are 19 students in all three of them, 7 of which are doing the Pediatric Acute Care NP program with me. I also found out that one of our pass-offs this semester is to intubate a live ferret! AHHH!

I've also been working on a research study with my program director. We are studying the effects of caring for kids with terminal illnesses on healthcare workers (doctors, nurses, social workers, etc.). I've worked really hard on creating a survey, and this week it finally went out to 900 employees of the Duke Medical Center! We already have about 200 responses. It's been a lot of fun, and I'm excited to present the findings at a nursing research conference in Indianapolis in November!

Hannah has been awesome, as always. She's been perfecting some of her skills lately, got sick but is almost over it, and is getting cuter every day. I've been thinking I should cut her mullet but can't actually get myself to do it! My friend took some adorable pictures of her the other day that I have to share!:
BYU's amazing win over Oklahoma calls for a late entry onto yesterday's post. All I can say is "Go BYU!!!"

11 comments:

TravandNat said...

Sounds like you are enjoying life, and learning lots! Good for you guys! Hannah is darling! I vote to keep the mullet! It's about the only time in life you can have a mullet, and still look cute!

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

Meliss, I don't know how you do it...you are a pro! I am so impressed that you are going to go to school + be a mom while James is doing his mba. If James first year is anything like tom's, I felt like a single mom all last year, but if anyone could handle it, it is you! Hannah's hair is so adorable...don't cut the mullet! I love it, Ains has one too, but since it's the only hair she has, I can't bear to cut it either. I am going to try to call you next week cause I've been wanting to chat with you forever...do you still use the same cell? Email me your phone number if it has changed.

Linda said...

you guys are doing great! good luck with all the fall coursework! hannah looks adorable (as usual)!!

Carrie said...

Melissa, Hannah is SO cute!! I love those pictures! I'm glad you are loving school - you nerd :) Good luck intubating the ferret! ---I'm interested in your research project results. Should I come to Indianapolis to hear the presentation? :)

Jill said...

DUDE! Intubating a ferret?! You've got to be kidding!! Hannah is so adorable! She's looking so grown up I can't believe it! I'm glad you and James are enjoying life. Good luck with the research project! I'm interested to hear about the results. Maybe Carrie and I can BOTH come to the conference!

Brittani said...

do not cut the mullet! eventually it grows out and looks beautiful! we did this with my oldest and it was funny while we were going through the stage but it is so long and pretty now!

the rutledge's- said...

Melissa- great to talk with you today at church, good things can come from being out in the hall with babies! Anyway, your blog is adorable...especially little Hannah. Hopefully sometime we can get our families together and get to know eachother better.

Laura Campbell said...

You have to intubate a live ferret! Holy cow, I'm pretty sure I don't have to do that...glad your program is going well, I start school tomorrow! Hannah is adorable!

Tiffany said...

Those pictures make me melt!! Oh how i miss you guys!! SO glad you are doing well! LOVe ya!

Kathie and Walt said...

Meliss -- you are amazing. Hannah is getting more gorgeous every day. I miss her. Don't you dare cut her "mullett" off. Her curls are great! Glad you are having fun and doing it all. sticking something down a ferrett's throat sounds discusting. I can't wait to hear details. xxoo MOM

Melanie said...

It was so fun talking to you on Sunday...and you are right, you have been busy! The pics of Hannah are so cute. She is getting big! And I love the little addition to your post about BYU! :)