Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summer Fun

May was a busy month for us, and I figured it was finally time to catch up! James finished his first year of MBA school and had a couple weeks' break before starting his internship in Philadelphia. We spent his first week off at a beach house in Hatteras, NC (in the Outer Banks) with the other Duke LDS MBA students. It was such a blast! The kids loved playing on the beach (Hannah hated the water but loved the sand and collecting rocks (not shells!)). We mainly just relaxed and enjoyed our friends, but we also had the chance to go to Kill Devil Hills and see the site of the first flight of the Wright brothers. Also, we toured the Hatteras Lighthouse, which is the tallest lighthouse in North America and the tallest brick lighthouse in the world!Our awesome beach house (which backed right up to the ocean)!Hannah trying to fly down the Wright brothers' flight pathAll the kidsThe whole group - we'll miss all the second years so much!We then spent a great week in Utah (which pictures I accidentally left at home for the weekend). We had a great time exploring my parents' new property in Lake Shore (at the south end of Utah Lake), riding horses, celebrating James' birthday, and hanging out with family. After that, I had my first day of class, then we moved up to Philadelphia for James' internship. It was quite the adventure with our car dying (it really just stopped going while we were on the freeway - twice!). Thank goodness for our wonderful friends the Halls (our family friends that introduced my family to church). They live in Washington, D.C., which was really close to where our car broke down the second time. So we crashed at their house for the night and joined them for church while our car was being fixed. Thanks, Halls! We love you so much! Thankfully, we made it to Philly with a day to spare before James' internship started. While he was busy getting ready for work, Hannah and I explored the park across the street from our apartment. She loved the dogs, the other kids, and listening to the people playing instruments.Hannah LOVES to laugh. She laughs at almost anything and is constantly trying to get us to laugh (which isn't too hard because she's so cute!). I caught her laughing so hard one night and thought these pictures were too adorable not to post!So James has finished his first week of his internship, which he is really enjoying. To celebrate, we spent yesterday at Chocolate World in Hershey, PA with our good friends the Gouchnors. We had a great time touring the city on a trolley, learning how chocolate is made, and eating TONS of chocolate!Here's the Hershey factoryEnjoying the trolley ride (which was supplemented with really animated actors!)We took a chocolate tasting class. Now we're experts in chocolate!Hannah with a cheek full of chocolate. I think she ate her weight in chocolate (lucky she's so little!)Melanie, Hannah, and meThanks for enduring this long post! We're looking forward to all the fun adventures ahead of us this summer!

8 comments:

Rogers Neighborhood said...

How fun. I want to come. Hannah is so so so beautiful. She looks like she has a funny little personality.

Meg said...

Philly?! This means I reunion, I think, as Philly is a mere 1.5 hours or something on a bus from my NYC. Let's make this happen, please.

Jolene said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast! Hannah is darling..and so grown up! Why do they have to grow so fast? I'm glad that you guys are doing so well!

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

We miss you guys like crazy!! So glad you are able to tour all over the East. Love you

Linda said...

a summer of wonderful adventures!! and only more to come! hannah is just getting more and more adorable every day, which seems impossible! we miss you guys!!!

Kathie and Walt said...

It's great seeing all the excitement. Hannah is the best. Everything about her is perfect. I miss you guys!! MOM

Chelsea said...

A beach house will all your friends?? SOunds like heaven!! Looks like you had a blast. have fun in Philly- looks like you are making the most of it!!!

Jessica Whittaker said...

What fun pictures at the beach! Sometimes I wish I lived by the beach, they are fun to play at. Hannah is getting so big! Wish I could have seen you when you were here.