Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Surviving Hannah
Our baby (who we've decided to name Hannah) is due three months from today! I can't believe how fast it has gone. I continue to feel great and can honestly save I haven't just survived being pregnant, I've loved it! We really enjoy feeling and watching her kick me (we even felt her do a head-butt the other day!). I thought it was time to post a picture of me with a baby belly, so here is me 27 weeks pregnant:
This weekend I had another exciting Hannah (or actually Hanna) survival story. To give a little background, James and I have been accepted to graduate school at Duke University in North Carolina (for an MBA and a Nurse Practitioner program respectively). However, we will not be going out there until next year, so we will be able to have our baby here in Utah, around family. Just to give you an idea of what the campus looks like, here is a picture of the chapel (which is kind of the same style as the rest of the buildings):
To get a head-start (and be able to take fewer classes when we have a baby at home), I have started online classes this semester. I love being back in school (I am still a nerd!). Also, I am very grateful that Duke has given me a scholarship that will cover all of my tuition. The official title is University Scholar and each year, one scholar can be chosen from each graduate degree program (nursing, business, law, etc.) along with a couple undergrads. The hope is that we will develop relationships with students from other disciplines and create opportunities to cross paths and thought-processes in regards to research and studies. So this past weekend, all the scholars attended a retreat to kick things off for the year. I flew into North Carolina to attend the retreat and landed about five hours before Hurricane Hanna! I woke up in the middle of the night to severe wind and rain. It was crazy! Fortunately, little damage was done, no one was hurt, and the skies were clear by mid-morning. I think we're still safe naming our baby Hannah! Here is a picture of me watching the hurricane pass through:
The retreat ended up being a lot of fun. I met some really impressive and fun people. I think this is going to be a great opportunity to get involved and rub shoulders with some very accomplished students! Here's a photo of the group that attended the retreat:
Sorry for the long post; it has just been a while since I've written anything!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Congratulations!!! That's so awesome that you BOTH got in at the same school! What an great opportunity, too! We also (here in NYC) got hit by Hanna and I'll be posting that soon. Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy and hopefully you won't be eating your words in a month or so (that you love being pregnant). You look great!
Melissa!!! I'm so glad that you FINALLY posted again! Once that sweet baby Hannah gets here, I expect lots more updates with pictures. Congratulations on the scholarship, and the chance to meet wonderfully smart perople at Duke! What an opportunity!!
You are the cutest pregnant girl I know! I can't believe that you are 27 weeks pregnant..you're tiny! I'm glad that you are still feeling well, and loving it! Being a mom is the best job ever!!
Look how cute you are! I thought for sure that you would be bigger, but you're still just the little tiny petite Melissa! It sounds like you are just going to have a blast at Duke. Congrats on the scholarship. What a great accomplishment. How long is the program?
I'm glad you are enjoying...EVERYTHING...right now! Sounds like so many wonderful things are going on! The name Hannah is beautiful.
Melissa-
oh, I love the baby belly pictures. Keep them coming! I can't wait to meet Hannah someday. Meeting her might merit a trip to North Carolina from Boston!
Also, congrats on the scholarship. You are such an amazing person.
We love you guys and miss you tons.
Congratulations on getting into Duke, although I wish it was Stanford so you could live by me. I can't wait to see the baby pictures.
Melissa and James, I finally got this old computer to find your blog. It is great to see both of you and Hannah. She is beautiful. I made two copies, one for me and one for Memaw, she wasn't able to get her printer to work. Also, thanks for the info and pictures of Bob and Linda, they look so happy. Congrats of the Duke situation. Maybe when you 3 make it to the Carolinas, we can come see you. Your trip sounded like alot of fun. We love you. Aunt Valeria and Uncle Joel
Second meassage, guess I got the Google blog to accept me. I hope this makes it to you so you'll know that I read yours and responded. It is good to know I have a way to talk with you. I haven't been able to catch you 2 at home on the phone. So maybe this way we can stay in touch. My e-mail is VlrEs7@AOL.com--don't hesitate to write-ok! Let Bob know that I saw him and Linda and that I am proud of him too. I love you, Aunt Valeria
Hi James and Melissa,
I was looking through friends blogs, and happened upon yours. I grew up with James in the same neighborhood in WJ. CONGRATS on being pregnant, that is GREAT news, and such a BIG adventure.
I was mostly interested in leaving you a message, to tell you that you are going to LOVE DUKE! My husband just graduated from their Law School. We moved to Durham right after we got married, and had the most WONDERFUL 3 years of our marriage. I can tell you lots about where to live (we lived in a GREAT townhouse by 5 other LDS couples)...the wards (AWESOME!!!)..DUKE BASKETBALL...oh man, to say that I am jealous is an understatement. If you ever want any info about the area...I would love to help.
brianne.stewart@gmail.com
CONGRATS again,
Brianne "Wallace" Stewart
We had a great time with you guys this past weekend. We are absolutely thrilled for you guys and your big adventure!
Glad you had a great time visiting Duke. Hannah is definitely growing! FYI...my blog page is FINALLY set up - hallelujah!
Melanie
Post a Comment